This easy Keto Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage is ready in just about 30 minutes and is perfectly comforting and naturally gluten-free.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Kiolbassa Smoked Meats, thank you for supporting the brands that make Cast Iron Keto possible!
This Keto Cabbage Soup may just be the best version on the internet. Why? Well, there are a few reasons:
- It’s packed full of savory Kiolbassa Smoked Meats Jalapeño Organic Beef Smoked Sausages!
- It’s ready in just about 30 minutes
- It uses minimal ingredients
- It’s all made in one pot
- Both Keto and non-Keto folks love it
Are those enough reasons?
We know cabbage soup may not be the most appealing dinner option but we can guarantee your tune would change if you tasted a spoonful of this cozy soup.
What are the ingredients in Keto Cabbage Soup
Most cabbage soup with a protein is ground beef or ground turkey but we’ve got a spin that we can’t get enough of, the smoked sausage! Here’s the full run-down of ingredients:
- avocado oil – please use a high heat oil like avocado, coconut, or algae for searing the sausages, olive oil shouldn’t be used here)
- Kiolbassa Smoked Meats, Organic Jalapeño Beef Smoked Sausages – we LOVE the hint of heat the sausages bring to the soup and the sausage adds just the right amount of heartiness to the cabbage soup. We appreciate that this sausage is not only organic but 100% grass-fed and grass-finished as well.
- unsalted butter – you can use salted butter but we tend to prefer to have more control over the salt content by seasoning with salt and pepper at the end.
- yellow onion – really any color onion will work but yellow is our go-to.
- red bell pepper – love the pop of red and slight fruitiness of the red bell pepper but any color will work.
- jalapeño – like it spicy? Leave the seeds in. Like it mild? Remove the seeds and ribs before mincing.
- garlic cloves – always fresh, never pre-minced, or jarred
- green cabbage – red will also work!
- beef broth – you can use chicken broth in place of the beef but we like to keep the proteins the same.
You could also add in some diced tomatoes if you wish!
Can I make the soup in a regular soup pot, slow-cooker, or Instant Pot, or pressure cooker?
You can but you’ll still want to sear the sausages first and sear the veggies for some color before putting in a slow cooker or pressure cooker. For the slow cooker, I’d do low for 3-4 hours and high for 2-3 and maybe 10 minutes in the IP on manual high.
What is the nutritional information for this cabbage soup recipe?
As always, you can find the full nutritional breakdown including the carb count (total carbs and net carbs) at the bottom of the recipe card. You can find the serving size/yield at the top of the recipe card. You should always double-check your specific ingredients as different brand’s ingredients may have different values.
To get a specific serving size you’ll want to weigh the final dish then divide by the number of servings. We can’t provide this information as your cooking style will vary from ours as well as the brand ingredients you choose to use.
Looking for more great recipes? Check out all of our other low-carb recipes using Kiolbassa Smoked Sausages ↓
Keto Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 13-oz package Kiolbassa Organic Jalapeno Beef Smoked Sausages, sliced into 1” rounds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium head green cabbage chopped
- 6 cups beef bone broth
Heat the avocado oil in a 5-quart cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, sear the sliced sausage until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side.
Add the butter to the pot along with the onion, jalapeno, and red bell pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until starting to soften. Add in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in the cabbage and cook for 3-5 minutes until starting to wilt.
Pour in the beef broth and bring to a low simmer. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.